Monday, May 7, 2007

Nine Horses - Snow Borne Sorrow


I don't know where to try and give you an idea by classifying this album into a particular category...this album stands alone for sure. It has a wonderful downtempo feel all the way through, jazzy and electronic...if the recording and instrumentation didn't sound so rich and fresh, I would have assumed this album was released in the mid'90s and not in '05.

The main man behind Nine Horses is David Sylvian, which has released tons of great material in the past three decades...as a solo artist (check out his double CD called Gone To Earth), and as the lead singer of the art rock group Japan (check out their album Gentlemen Take Polaroids).

Back to the album, the song writing quality on this album is just about as good as it gets. I was a bit skeptical about Sylvian's voice on this album at first - before I listened I should say. I remembered him from Japan, as I had been a fan for years...but that was indeed years ago, so how would he sound now? Absolutely perfect for this form of music. There is no one else out there that can sound like him, and this album would have been awful with anyone else. Don't get me wrong, the music is beautiful on its own - but it is completed with his vocals.

No comments: